So, if you caught yesterday’s post or the most recent Weekend Writing Prompt, you will have seen that this little writing challenge has now been going for a full year! Yay! Before I get to explaining how Year 2 of the prompts are going to differ from Year 1, I wanted to spend a few minutes celebrating all the amazing responses to the first 52 word and picture prompts…
Year 1 Celebration
Then I had an idea…(It’s even possible someone else suggested it to me, but I can’t remember…) what if we put together an e-anthology of some of the pieces of flash fiction and poetry written for the prompts. Currently, this is only in the brainstorming stage, but I think the process would work something like this:
- I set a deadline, probably 6-8 weeks from now for submissions to be emailed over to me
- submissions would consist of no more than 5 pieces of fiction, poetry, or combination of both
- submissions would only be considered for responses to any of the 52 weekend writing prompts from the first year, and only one response per prompt per submitter
- it would be up to you whether you send over your original responses to the prompt or write new ones
- if you haven’t participated in the Weekend Writing Prompt before, it wouldn’t matter. You could pick up to five prompts (all Weekend Writing Prompts can be found here) and write a response.
- responses written to the weekly poetry and prose challenges as well as free write responses would be suitable for submission
- I would imagine most, if not all, submitted pieces would be accepted and included in the anthology, but of course, until all the submissions were in and I could see what we had, I wouldn’t be able to guarantee it. Not only do we want to celebrate the first year of the Weekend Writing Prompt but also make the anthology a good read. If we end up with a dozen responses to the same prompt and nothing else, we might need to rethink this project!
- And finally…Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to offer payment for submissions as no-one would be making any money from it.
So there are my thoughts. I thought it would be best to put the idea out there before declaring this a “thing” and then have to look on as nothing happens 😀 I know everyone is busy and many of you have just finished a very intense month of writing; I’m in the same boat. The Weekend Writing Prompt feels like a community, and this would be a community project, so I really do need your input. Please let me know in the comments below whether you would be interested in joining in with this e-anthology. If we get enough interested writers and poets, I’ll then put together a set of submission guidelines etc.
What’s New for Year 2
In Year 1 we had a word prompt and photo prompt, with the optional poetry and prose challenges all contained within each weekend’s prompt post.
In Year 2 there will be a single word prompt, with the optional challenge of writing a poem or piece of short fiction in an exact number words (the number will change each week). Though the format and style of response you write will be your choice, I hope having an exact number of words to stick to will stretch your creativity and fire up your imagination.
There it is. I hope to see you all over the weekend, checking out the first of the new style prompts. And don’t forget to comment below if you have any thoughts / suggestions for the e-anthology idea.
Thanks for reading and take care 🙂