Two weeks ago I asked via this post whether anyone would be interested in celebrating a whole year of Weekend Writing Prompts by putting together an anthology. From the response I think we can say that there is plenty of interest! Yay! Thanks to everyone who responded. I think this is going to be really exciting! 🙂
I think we know enough from that original post to get the submissions rolling right away, but there are some details that will need to be worked out over the coming weeks. Here’s what we need to know now: the submission guidelines…
Weekend Writing Prompt Year 1 Anthology Submission Guidelines
- All submissions must be inspired by any of the first 52 Weekend Writing Prompts. An index with clickable links to each prompt can be found here.
- If you’ve not participated in the Weekend Writing Prompt before it doesn’t matter. You can join in now. Check out the Index for links to each prompt and then get writing!
- It’s your choice whether you send over your original responses to the prompt or write new ones.
- All submissions should be within the body of an email. No attachments please!
- Please submit up to five of your favourite responses (either poetry, fiction, non-fiction or a combination of all three), each one inspired by a different prompt. Alongside each, please state which week it is from. For example, WWP #5. The maximum word count for each piece is 1000 words.
- You can submit anything you like: either responses to poetry or prose challenges or something else inspired by the prompts as long as each piece is below the maximum word limit.
- If you want a biography alongside your work, please include one in your email. All submissions should include a link to your blog or website and the name you want your writing attributed to (real name, pseudonym, name of website, etc).
- Format is simple: easy to read font and left justified, with that which you want in italic or bold, in italic or bold.
- Unfortunately I won’t be able to pay writers for their submissions because this will be a free-to-read project and no-one will be making any money from it.
- Provisional deadline for submissions is 1st July 2018. (This might be extended; it would be great if we could have at least one piece of writing for each prompt so we might need to open a second round of submissions).
- Submissions to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about this anthology, please feel free to ask. Post a comment below or send me an email at the address above and I will hopefully be able to answer it.
I’ll also post these guidelines over on the Dreaming Spirit site.
With the guidelines set out, the next question, is where to publish the anthology. As many of you who have been following my blog for a while will now, I usually use Wattpad for this type of project. However, another idea is to create a magazine-style wordpress site. Both are great in terms of being interactive (like / vote buttons, comment sections, adding in of media – pictures / photos / videos) etc. So my next question to you guys is this: do you have a preference? If you could pick only the one, which one would you chose for the anthology: Wattpad or WordPress? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!