Please note that this page will be updated regularly during September, so keep checking back…
September, 2016 I decided to challenge myself to create and undertake a different mini writing challenge everyday for a whole month and post it here on my blog. Below you will find the daily prompts for this challenge along with links to a number of index posts that contain links to stories and poems written by those who joined in the challenge.
Each day a theme, which can be interpreted in anyway you wish, as well as a format, is set. It could be a poem or a piece of flash fiction. For example, it might ask for a poem written in less than 10 lines, or a story in less than 25 words. You get the picture. On some days, the choice may even be up to you.
I think this is going to be fun. Feel free to join in! If enough people are interested, I will work on designing some badges 🙂
The Daily Mini Writing Challenges
- Day 1 – Write a story in 25 words or less about a place you would like to visit but have never been.
- Day 2 – Write a story in 50 words set in the past that plays on words.
- Day 3 – Write a poem in less than 10 lines about “autumn”.
- Day 4 – The prompt is “phonecall”. The format and length is your choice.
- Day 5 – Write a 50 word story inspired by a fairy tale.
- Day 6 – Write a poem inspired by the sea. Any length.
- Day 7 – Write a 25 word story about a method of divination.
- Day 8 – Write a story in less than 100 words (a drabble) using the opening line: “I don’t believe you.”
- Day 9 – Write a haiku inspired by the theme “night”.
- Day 10 – Write a story in less than 30 words that includes the words: disaster, potential and misgivings.
- Day 11 – Write a story set in a forest in 100 words or less.
- Day 12 – Write a poem about the apocalypse. Any length.
- Day 13 – The prompt is “space”. The format and length are your choice.
- Day 14 – Write a story in 10 words inspired by good or bad luck.
- Day 15 – Write a 50 word story set in the future.
- Day 16 – Write a poem on the theme of “reflections”. Any length.
- Day 17 – Write a story in less than 50 words inspired by the theme “unseen”.
- Day 18 – The prompt is “a letter”. The format and length are your choice.
- Day 19 – It’s night. You’re asleep. You hear a loud crash close by. What happens next? Tell us in less than 100 words.
- Day 20 – Write a poem inspired by mythology or a mythological creature in less than 20 lines.
- Day 21 – Write a story in 25 words about an animal.
- Day 22 – Write a 50 word story that uses the words: havoc, redemption and change.
- Day 23 – Write a poem about a robot. Any length.
- Day 24 – The prompt is “nightmare”. The format and length are your choice.
- Day 25 – Tell a story only using dialogue in less than 50 words.
- Day 26 – Write a story in less than 100 words that begins with: “Once upon a time…”
- Day 27 – Write a poem inspired by the theme of “home” in less than 10 lines.
- Day 28 – Pick the title of a favourite song. That’s your inspiration. Now write a story inspired by it in 30 words.
- Day 29 – The prompt is “murder mystery”. The format and length are your choice.
- Day 30 – Write a spooky story in 13 words for Halloween.
Index for Stories and Poems